The area now known as the Hoover Wilderness was first recognized in 1931 by the National Forest Service as an area in need of protection. The Chief Forester at that time, R.Y. Stewart, designated 20,540 acres as a primitive area, placing some restrictions on activities within the area to preserve its wild character. With the passage of the 1964 Wilderness Act, the Hoover became one of the first wildernesses in the National Wilderness Preservation System. The United States Congress designated the Hoover Wilderness (map) in 1964 and it now has a total of 124,468 acres. All of this wilderness is located in California and is managed by the Forest Service. The Hoover Wilderness is bordered by the Yosemite Wilderness to the west.