Eastern Sierra Interpretive Association
Educating and inspiring people about Sierra Nevada and Great Basin Public Lands through interpretive products, exhibits, and programs.
Join the ESIA Team
Become a Member
As one of the oldest nonprofits in the region, the Eastern Sierra Interpretive Association (ESIA) was established in 1970 by visionary citizens interested in helping the U.S. Forest Service provide interpretive education relevant to the unique surrounding landscape, sharing with the public the importance of the Sierra public lands. ESIA became one of the first independent organizations in the United States to operate under a Participating Agreement with the U.S. Forest Service for educational purposes. In 1971 ESIA received its nonprofit 501(c)3 status. Today, ESIA’s ongoing agency partnerships include the Inyo National Forest, Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, Tahoe National Forest, Death Valley National Park, Devils Postpile National Monument, Manzanar National Historic Site, and the Bureau of Land Management Bishop Field Office.
National Forest Service Partners
- Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center (Lone Pine) – Open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- White Mountain Visitor Center (Bishop) – Closed for the season
- Schulman Grove Visitor Center (Bristlecone) – Closed for the season
- Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center (Mammoth Lakes) – Open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed for Lunch 12:00-12:30.
- Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center (Lee Vining) – Closed for the season
- Tahoe National Forest Ranger Station locations (Camptonville, Nevada City, Foresthill, Sierraville, and Truckee) are open Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm.
- Humboldt-Toiyabe Ranger Station (Austin, Bridgeport, Carson, Sparks, and Tonopah) – Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.
National Park Service Partners
- Devils Postpile National Monument is closed for the Season.
- Manzanar National Historic Site visitor center and bookstore are open everyday from 9:00am – 4:30pm. The site is open daily from dawn until dusk.
Our online store is always open so that you can purchase books and other items for gifts, reading, and to support planning for your future travel to the Sierra Nevada. Our membership and donation program provides a discount for purchases and further supports ESIA.
Follow us along your journey!
Support and work closely with our public agency partners
Collaborate with our non-profit to achieve better outcomes.
Provide outstanding customer service
Encourage diversity in our program planning and implementation
Provide leadership in demonstrating professional interpretation in the Eastern Sierra
Act with integrity and fairness in all we do
Communicate openly and frequently both inside and outside our organization
Ensure financial responsibility and accountability
Show respect for everyone we encounter
Build and maintain a satisfying and fun work environment